As you know, a group of us are going alcohol-free for 30 days starting February 1st. There have been a variety of reactions to my plan ranging from a congratulatory hug to visible recoil. It is pretty interesting to see them and get a feel for other people’s relationship with alcohol.
But let’s not forget that drinking has a huge social component to it so here is how you can deal with your alcohol-free friend (whether her sobriety is temporary or permanent):
1. Do not talk her into having a drink.
2. Do not treat her like a social pariah or like she’s lost her mind.
3. Do not give her the “head tilt – I’m so sorry” look every time you see her.
4. Do not hide your alcohol from her or flaunt it in her face either.
5. Do not explain to her why you would not give up alcohol.
6. Do ask her how she’s feeling and provide encouragement.
7. Do continue to invite her to your parties and get-togethers.
8. Do treat her like nothing has changed.
9. Do buy her a juice or soda if she’s at a bar with you.
10. Join her. You might be surprised at what you will discover about yourself.
It’s not hard. It’s not weird. And you will help your friend accomplish something good. If you’re on Twitter, follow along and provide support with the hashtag #dry or #drinkstrike. You can also leave a comment here or on my Facebook Page.
Below is the list of intrepid individuals joining me in February:
1. My husband, Warren
2. My sister, Mary Jane
3. My friend, Joylette
4. Danny Stewart
5. Lisa Byrne
6. Shonali Burke
7. Vanessa French
8 . Michelle Nguyen
10. Jeff (aka) Malnurtured Snay
11. Danielle Ricks
It’s not too late to join us! February 1st is only TWO days away… Are you ready?